Thursday 4 June 2009

The first hurdle of many completed !

The first hurdle has now been achieved: we have received the first offer on our application, and with only a 2% chance of not getting a student visa all should be ok. It’s still a tight deadline with about a week’s flexibility so this will be an interesting couple of weeks of waiting for the emails and envelopes in the post and waiting.

Finally the surfboards are packed for the move…fragile stickers everywhere and while UK surfing is no more for me, I can’t help looking at the swell charts and web cams on a daily basis for a good wave www.magicseaweed.com. On a positive note, Lyall Bay is only 18 minutes away from the Universities in Wellington. Checking the swell charts in Wellington, they show the surf is 10 times bigger than in the UK ….. err I think a few more lessons maybe be required otherwise I feel I will expire before my visa!!!

The wife’s tin can has been sold…. a few tears were had as a dodgy car dealer drove off into the distance with an “Arthur Daley” grin on his face. That only leaves my beloved car to go :o(

Removals are now arranged….with all the rules and regulations we need to jet wash everything bikes, clean camping equipment, boots along with a good covering of strong detergent to kill any bacteria…I am sure that drinking our remaining bottles of wine will help; the tax on alcohol makes it too expensive to bring with us, what a shame ;o)

Next week we will technically homeless after selling the house, so for the next 6 weeks our life will be in 2 suitcases. As it is Winter in NZ tough choices will need to be made in clothing options for some – high heels or trainers, I know my preference ;o)

No comments: